Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Summer Projects















I have been working on a few small sewing projects this summer. I am keeping it simple and fun. This is a table runner that I made for a friend who recently got married. They are remodeling the house that they are going to live in with 'green' materials so I chose to use the color green along with an earthy brown and sea blue. I also used bamboo batting with it. I loved how soft the bamboo batting was and how smooth it was to sew. It is not very thick, but will work well for a table runner. Before I put this one together though I experimented with the blocks using by stash of Susan Branch's Tea Party. I had a lot of fun with it and modified a pattern from the book 'Jelly Roll Quilts' by Pam and Nicky Lintott. I am going to wash it tonight and see how it responds to washing. I am beginning to realize that I am creating projects with no particular use in mind, but I have having fun with whole process . Hopefully this is just giving me practice for some very useful projects in the future.


My next project will probably be a pin cushion, now that is something useful. I seem to be collecting pin cushion patterns lately. One of my favorites is on Heather Bailey's blog...she actually has several, but I am going to try her free pattern for the square one then I would like to purchase her fruit ones for later. So if you go to her site the link for the pdf file for the square pin cushion is down the page a bit. On your way down the page don't miss her velvety strawberries...to die for! What talented people we can find in blogland. I for one am so thankful that they share their ideas with people like me.

Well, I am going to have company for a few days so will be quite busy, but may have some more fun things to post about next week. Enjoy all your summer projects, big or small!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ferne,

All your summer projects have turned out nicely! I especially like the colors you had used in the table runner!

It's funny you would say how you keep your mind thinking how to incorporate dish patterns into quilts. I do the same thing!!!!

Have fun with your company!