Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Cactus and Succulent Show

This past weekend I went to a Cactus and Succulent Show in San Juan Batista with my sister, Philina. It was amazing how many plants were there and how really beautiful they were. I am usually not that interested in them, but wanted to check them out because that seems to be the only thing that wants to grow on my hot deck. Well, I went a little crazy and bought several (more than several really). I can't wait to have time to plant them in some fun container. I should have time for that on Thursday I think. Anyway, here are a few of the most amazing plants I saw, see if you agree...
This was probably my favorite, though I voted for a Medusa head one because I love them. I kept thinking of how spectacular this will look like when all the flowers start opening. Quite amazing and probably quite old.

This is a quaint little thing that looks kind of like a cork screw. Nature does the most amazing things with out our help.





Can you believe these beautiful flowers are blooming on a thorny cactus? They had my attention for a long time. AWESOME, if I do say so myself.

The one on the left was one of many that I bought for myself and Philina bought one also. I am talking about the aloe with the stripes (though I think I bought the one beside it also...hens and chicks are my favorites). Can't wait to see what kind of flower it will send up later!

In my own garden things are growing and I spent a few hours there last week pulling the weeds that were growing and doing a little planting and cutting back. It was a real work out actually, but well worth it. Here are a few pictures I snapped while there.
Some dianthus was blooming its little heart out, I'm not quite sure what variety it is, but it sure was looking nice! A Lavatera, one of my favorite flowers is putting out quite a few blooms with the promise of more to come. I am noticing that I seem to like pink flowers of all shades I wonder what that says about me...nothing I just like pink! (but, green is still my favorite color.)

Here is my asparagus before I thinned it out. I planted it last year and have actually harvested a nice crop from it this year. There should be alittle more to harvest this week. I am new to growing asparagus so I am not real sure what to do when, but it looked like I needed to take out some of the tall leafy stalks and there were a lot of little spears below just waiting to push up so when I go on Thursday I will see if I did it some good. I am fertilizing with fish emulsion and seaweed extract. I planted some new colmnar basil plants so I can't wait to see how they do. They are suppose to grow tall and narrow. Last year I planted a few low, mounding varieties so I decided to do something new this year. I think I will throw in a spicy globe one again and of course, a genovese and an opal basil. I like to dry the leaves and make my own blends to use through the winter. I also make my own pesto and last year made 3 different flavors. I am all out so I hope the basil starts producing some good leaves soon. I do love basil! (almost as much as tomatoes)!

My garden has been a great source of therapy and relaxation for me. Lately the nursery has been so busy that I need to get away to my own garden and play. That I do very well, the playing part that is! Hopefully I will find time for more gardening and more sewing and more just getting away in the next few days!

2 comments:

Knot Garden said...

Great photos, that first one is amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it! I would agree that gardening is great therapy, and so is shopping for plants.

Knot Garden said...

Hello Ferne, thank you for your comments on my blog. I got my rick rack from a UK website, www.antiqueangel.co.uk, but as far as I know it is made by Moda and imported into the UK from America, so if you can find a quilt shop or online source for it in the States, you will probably be able to get it cheaper than I did.
Thanks for the links, those rick rack roses are great. I would never have thought of making flowers with it!
Love the new look of your blog by the way,
Caroline