Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Janome, I love you!

IMG_2372 I did it!  I went to test drive the Janome 6600 yesterday and of course it had to come home with me.  I even got a deal on the table special made to fit it.  The table is really nicely made and solid.  There is no vibration when it is sewing at all and the height is very comfortable to work at.  I played on this machine for about an hour and already felt comfortable enough to start a project.  I read that the manual was terribly written, but I found it easy to understand and I went through it for each step of setting up and changing feet to changing settings and had no problems at all.  My Mom would be so proud of me using the manual, she always says “Did you read the manual?” and usually I don’t I just figure that I will figure it out sooner or later.  Well, the manual was read and reread and I followed the directions and I figured it out faster.  So it pays to follow Mom’s advice once in a while.

I’m trying to decide what is my favorite feature so far…I thought it would  be the Accufeed foot, but it is not yet, maybe after I quilt something it will be.  It will be nice not to have to put on the bulky walking foot.  You just put on your quilting foot, pull down the feed foot holder and that is it.  It is not noisy, that is the best part.  The store owner gave me an Accufeed 1/4 inch foot, but I found that I had to move my needle so far over for it to be a true 1/4 inch, the regular 1/4 inch foot that comes standard with the machine is so much more accurate.  You don’t really need the Accufeed to piece, but it will be good for putting on binding.  So my favorite feature is a tie between two little buttons, the thread cutter and the Start/Stop button. 

I sounds like the thread cutter is causing some people problems, but it was explained to me that you have to cut the thread before you lift the foot and there will not be bobbin thread coming out which bothers some people because they are use to holding the top and bottom threads before they start sewing.  The thread cutter is holding the bottom thread and it will come out when you start sewing.  No more lifting projects to cut threads from the bottom, very handy for me! 

The Start/Stop button lets you sew without using a foot petal.  I keep forgetting this and wanting to step on the gas.  You do have the IMG_2371option to use the foot petal if you want and it is a really nice petal, but I am really liking this button a lot and finding it easy to get use to.

We had our first real harvest from the garden yesterday.  We have gotten a few zucchini and few strawberries here and there, but last night I filled my basket to overflowing.  I have a feeling this is just the beginning.  I may be making some strawberry jam soon!

Eat healthy and use your time wisely!

Ferne

 

No comments: