Thursday, February 25, 2016

Quilting with Rulers on the Janome 6600

IMG_1014

A while back I stumbled upon the blog of Amy Johnson and saw some stunning quilting being done on her Janome.  I had been in practice mode with my FMQ on my Janome and was somewhat frustrated with my lack of perfection, but figured more practice was needed.  Well, Amy was using some rulers (aka templates because they are thicker than rulers).  I just had to give this a try so off I went to my Janome dealer and found the ruler foot I needed to use with the rulers.  I ordered 2 rulers, 1 straight and 1 curved and got started playing around with them.  I loved the results and yes there is still some practice to be done, but they are a huge help.  The thing I love most is that there is very little marking to do.  I marked the square and a few check points on each side and then let the ruler help me with the rest.

IMG_1013

These are blocks that will be 6” finished and I am trying a quilt as you go technique.  There will be a different pattern in each block.  Problem is I ran out of fabric and I have fallen in love with this fabric so I need to order some more if I can only remember what it is!  Amy has since opened an online store and started selling her rulers.  She also has a class on Craftsy and lots of videos on her blog…so if you want to learn this technique be sure to check her out!

2 comments:

lauraluvsloons said...

I think this will make a terrific quilt ~ I hope you can find more fabric:)

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

Thanks for linking up. Your stitching looks great!